Monday, December 16, 2013

Review: "Modogamous" by Karen E. Martin

 
Title:
 Modogamous

 
Genre:
  Chick Lit / New Adult / Rom-Com

 
Blurb:

Kate Adams has it all figured out. Five years out of college, she’s got a steady job, a home she loves in the big city, and good friends who always keep her laughing:  her stylish but nosy roommate Evette, happily-married Cecie, and of course, good old Mitch, her seriously cute co-worker who’s been stuck in the Friend Zone since the day they met.

 

Everything is going just fine—until the night Kate crosses the line with Mitch, and the boundaries between friendship and love begin to blur. Things get even more complicated when hunky JP enters the scene. What’s a girl to do? Add to the mix a spunky little pug Kate never expected to fall for, and her neatly-ordered life is starting to look more like a dog’s dinner.  Maybe her roommate has the right idea after all:  forget the men, and stick with a canine companion instead.

 

It’s time for Kate to figure out what she really wants in life. But can she dig her way out of the mess she’s created before she ends up permanently in the doghouse?
 
Review:
 
Kate is your average girl. She graduated college with great aspirations. What happened? She has a job that isn't satisfying, but it pays the bills. She's just gained her college roomie back and has three close friends. Did I mention one is Mitch? Yep, a bestie that is male. That works out great until emotions get confused, hormones take over, and everyone feels awkward.
 
Kate is a great character. She flies by the seat of her pants mostly and has a huge heart. It's the heart part that gives her trouble though. Kate is stubborn and she's afraid of rejection. She's been burned before, badly, and she doesn't want that to happen again. This creates some huge mistakes on her part that she has to come to terms with and rectify before it's too late.
 
Mitch is a little flaky. He's a good looking guy, a great friend, but he's insecure. Everyone else has to spell things out to him. When he wakes up though he's a true romantic. What's the problem with that? It's timing. Mitch has absolutely horrible timing. This is why things never leave the "friends zone". That being said he's the guy girls swoon for being the best friend that you can't help want to turn lover and hope the future brings something more. What would be more romantic than marrying your best friend? Right?
 
In the case of Mitch and Kate they are beyond wonderful friends. They are both very caring. They are both attractive. Sometimes equations take time to add up. When other people step in the picture the equation keeps getting more complicated.
Kate + Mitch + JP + Darcy=x-z+y+a=???
 
"Modogamous" is a great read. The characters are genuine and interesting. Don't expect a lot of fluff, these friends tell it like it is. A pug is a pug, not a pig after all. The dynamics in the relationships keep things interesting. For a while I wondered if Kate was ever going get a grip and if Mitch was going to finally take the plunge and own up to what he was feeling. JP is the kind of guy you love to hate. I loved him and then he got a little annoying.
 
My favorite scene is Kate trying to cook dinner at the new boyfriends around the huge dog. Seriously, I was laughing hysterically at this. We've all had those days, tried to save the day, and then just said screw it.
 
The "All About Kate" gave the extra info needed to let Kate evolve more. This was a great touch to the story. I do want to know more of what happens past the end of the story. I'm trying to keep this "spoiler" free. So, I won't say what I want to know, but once you read it you'll be asking the same questions.
 
This book is a 5 STAR read!
It took about two days to read. Sit back grab your coffee and favorite blanket and enjoy life with Kate, Mitch, and a lovable pug named Drama.
 
Book Links:
 
 

 


Author Media Links:

You can contact the author on
Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, GoodReads, and on her blog about writing, publishing, and literature.

 

https://www.facebook.com/karenmartinauthor

https://twitter.com/KarenEMartin1

http://www.pinterest.com/karenemartin1/karen-e-martin-author/

http://www.karenemartin.com/blog/

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/17856555-karen-e-martin

http://www.amazon.com/Karen-E.-Martin/e/B00GL664QG/

 
Author Interview:
 
Why a pug?
 
One of my besties and I traveled to Vancouver in 2010 to go to the Winter Olympics (another biggie on my Bucket List), and we were lucky enough to be hosted by a lovely acquaintance of hers who had a home in the area. She happened to have a pug named Lucy, who was the sweetest and most well-behaved dog I’ve ever met—totally lovable. Yeah, I was completely won over. So that’s why I chose a pug for the book. I just think they’re super cute.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens…what are a few of your favorite things?
 
Well, I have a lot of souvenirs that bring back wonderful memories from the places I’ve lived and the people I’ve met. But one of my favorites is a long, garish rug that lies in my hallway. It has vibrant triangles of red, orange, black, and white woven together to form contrasting diamond patterns. Yes, it is extremely busy, LOL. But I have a very special place in my heart for it because I picked it up in Petra (Jordan). I really wanted to take home something special from there, so I had my eyes open as we tramped all over the place that hot, dry day. I noticed the rug hanging in the back of a little stand where some bedouins were selling the usual kitschy knick-knacks. It wasn’t even for sale; it was  quite dusty and obviously not on display. When I asked after it, they seemed quite surprised, considering it was old and used—not in mint condition, which so many tourists seem to want. But what can I say? I was in love. And every time I tread on that rug now, which is every day I wake up at home, I step back in time to one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever visited. Yeah, that’s a happy thing.

I also have a very old and tattered copy of “Siddhartha,” by Hermann Hesse that I’ve had for at least 20 years. The pages are yellowed and beginning to get all dried and crackly, as cheap paperbacks will after awhile, but it’s got my notes in it from the first time I read the book (and the dozens of times I’ve read it since). It’s probably been the most important book in my life, as it came to me at a time when my adult ideals were beginning to form and I was looking for my path in life. I still reread it at least once a year. Sometimes I pull it off the shelf and just open it to a random page, to see what highlighted quote jumps out at me, for reflection or guidance. Today’s quote (page 72):  “Most people, Kamala, are like a falling leaf that drifts and turns in the air, flutters, and falls to the ground. But a few others are like stars which travel one defined path:  no wind reaches them, they have within themselves their guide and path.” See what I mean? I’m writing a paragraph about finding my path in life, and I open a page in that book and find the perfect quote already underlined in my twenty-year-old handwriting. It’s uncanny, really. Get. This. Book. 

What's your craziest holiday memory? 
 
Haha! That’s an easy one. I was working in Romania in 2002 and decided to come home for Christmas, but wanted to surprise my folks, so I didn’t tell anyone I was coming except for my younger sister. She picked me up and drove me “home for the holidays” to my parents’ place, and about a quarter-mile before we got to the house, we pulled over and I got into the trunk. When we got to the house, Mary asked my folks to come help her unload the “baggage” from the car. Oh, the looks on their faces when that trunk opened was absolutely priceless. My dad did a triple-take, eyes popping out of his head like an owl, and mom was just like “Omigod, omigod, omigod, omigod!” I still laugh about it to this day. But it was really nice to know that I was actually missed. That was one of my best presents ever.  

 
Author Bio:
Karen E. Martin, M.Ed. is a full-time freelance writer/editor. She has been in the publishing business since 2004, working on books and publications for major and independent publishers, universities, businesses, and private individuals. Prior to entering the field of publishing, Ms. Martin worked as a Senior EFL Fellow (English as a Foreign Language) for the U.S. Department of State in Romania, a Junior EFL Fellow for the U.S. Department of State in Jordan, and a teacher-trainer for the U.S Peace Corps in Mauritania, Jordan, Romania, and Morocco. Ms. Martin served as a Peace Corps volunteer for two years, teaching English in the Errachidia Province of Morocco. This is Ms. Martin’s first novel.
 Rafflecopter 

"Join the Modogamous Holiday Hop Giveaway to win a fabulous Swag Pack full of prizes! The Swag Pack winner will receive a signed copy of the paperback, tote bag, coffee mug, Christmas ornament, and more! Additional prizes include a copy of the e-book, a signed paperback, and a limited edition, signed art print of the book's cover art."